Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Extra! Extra! News Flash!!!

Allow me to clarify a few things since there seems to be an individual amongst us who wants to throw curve balls without listening to the cathcher first.

In case you have missed a few of my posts, I am not (as has been previously stated) anti-law enforcement. I have a career in law enforcement that actually has its beginnings back in 1996. Yes, I understand that there will never be a single jurisdiction in this country where our officers will EVER get the pay they deserve. Heck, the last job I had in law enforment required me to purchase my own PACA vest - I was lucky enough to have a friend who gave me his spare for patrol that just so happened to have a spare trauma plate. The only issued equipment I had was my radio, my uniform, unit, and tactical gear. The rest was on my dime. Yes, I very much so understand the woes of a police officer.

That being said - our esteemed anonymous poster can get off of their "Big Stink is anti police" kick. Now that we can move along...we can hopefully come to the issue of what this blog is about: WHERE IS THE LAW ENFORCEMENT PRESENCE IN LFE??? I live on Tom Hailey. The last time I actually saw an officer patrolling here was the night of the last shooting. Actually, that wasn't patrolling....it was responding.

There is no smoke and mirrors....no cloak and dagger.....just a plain and simple request:

INCREASE VISABLE PATROLS IN LFE.

Is that so much to ask? I have stated it before and I think it is fair to state it again. If the chief of police or the Mayor had a drive-by right near his house and then the very next week had a robbery foiled because someone made a very dumb mistake to try to take the law into their own hands and risked life and property by shooting blindly into the darkness of night - then you'd better bet your bottom dollor that you would see a dramatic increase in patrols there. Why should we rank any different?

It isn't a hard request....and it isn't a hard mission. If you would like to continue to argue about my credentials....which does nothing to solve the issue at hand - go right ahead. In the end...I will still be here.

4 comments:

standing_my_ground_in_LaVergne said...

Hell must have frozen over!!!!! according to the news last night we hit a record high of 106 degrees in TN, but even more amazing was the fact that I saw a LPD patrol car driving down Tom Hailey last night. I wanted to flag them down and make sure they werent lost, but I dont think they would have appreciated that. Its nice to see that LPD still knows where Tom Hailey is. Hopefully we will see them a little more often.

Anonymous said...

The Mayor lives on the other side of La Vergne and the police chief lives in Murfreesboro, so neither of them have a dog in the hunt for LFE, so to speak.

I'm not saying they don't care about LFE, I'm sure they do care. I'm saying as someone who does not live in LFE, I think LFE should be represented on the M/A board

Anonymous said...

hey folks, you have to remember that LPD has more streets accessible to them now as they respond to calls. Tom hailey is no longer a short path, just remember when an officer spends 8 hours going from call to call, your street may not be his fastest or simplest route.

Big Stink said...

anonymous,

you greatly miss the whole point of cause and effect and prevention. If crime is great in area "A", do we put patrols in areas "A", "B", "C", or "D"? What if the powers that be said "hrm??? how about 'd'? lightning can't strike twice in 'A'!"

Thats crazy...especially when the crime continues to happen.

Fire, police and health arent an option.